TenantsTips / Home / Tenancy Help / Repairs Help / My rented property is dangerous to my health but the landlord does nothing

My rented property is dangerous to my health but the landlord does nothing

If your home is 'hazardous to your health' (its condition is seriously affecting your health or safety) or if it needs other kinds of major repairs the landlord or the landlords agent should be notified immediately as the landlord has a legal obligation to make good the situation quickly.

Things like faulty wiring, dangerous plumbing, loose roof tiles, damp (not mould), a faulty staircase etc, are what one might be in this category. These and other areas (see other sections) are items that the landlord is legally responsible for under your tenancy agreement. The landlord must comply with any obligations under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

Firstly, make sure everything is in writing and keep copies for your records, this should include nature of repair, and all correspondence between yourself and the landlord (this should also include details of the landlord visiting the property) - the best way to do this is via email.

If the landlord does not respond quickly or in a positive manner despite your requests then as the tenant you should contact the local council's environmental health officer.

The council can order the landlord to do the repairs. If the landlord doesn’t make good the repairs necessary within a reasonable time, the council can take legal action against the landlord and/or do the work itself and get the cost back from the landlord.

If the condition of the property being rented is affecting your health the local council may also take action against the landlord.

If you have no joy with the council then you could get the magistrates' court to force the landlord to fix the property under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, however, you will need expert legal advice to do this.