TenantsTips / Home / Immigrating to UK / Is a migrant entitled to a written tenancy agreement

Is a migrant entitled to a written tenancy agreement

In UK rented accommodation is available from three main providers: private landlords, local councils and housing associations. Most migrants rent their property from a private landlord or via a rental property agency.

You can contact to your local council to ask for a list of accredited landlords in your area. You can also search for a letting agent who is registered with the government backed National Approved Letting Scheme on their website.

You as any tenant whether a migrant or not, are entitled to get a written tenancy agreement.

Therefore, as a general rule, you should receive one and then you should make sure you read it carefully and make sure, before signing a tenancy agreement, that you are happy with the rent, that it is an amount that you can afford to pay or will be covered by your Housing Benefit payments if you are eligible for Housing Benefit. If you find out later that you have made a bad bargain, it will be difficult to do anything about it.

A private landlord will normally ask for a deposit. You should make sure that the condition of the property and any items of furniture are recorded in an inventory and the tenancy agreement states this accurately.

The main questions about your deposit must to be clear for you: how much the deposit is and who holds it; when money can be deducted from the deposit (for unpaid rent or damage to property); when you will get the deposit back.

If your landlord has not given you a written agreement, you have a right ask your landlord to give you a written statement setting out the terms of the tenancy. This written statement must include such things as the date the tenancy began, the rent and when it is payable, any rent review arrangements and the length of any fixed term.

It’s very important to understand the period of the tenancy. If you start renting a property and the rent is less than 25,000 per year and you do not live in the same house as the landlord, the tenancy will automatically be an assured short-hold tenancy (unless your landlord agrees otherwise in writing). It is up to you to agree the length of the tenancy with the landlord. It can last for a set period (known as a “fixed term”) or be left open-ended.


Login or Register FREE to add comment.