TenantsTips / Home / Housing Benefit / Claiming Housing Benefit / What proof and ID's are required to Claim Housing Benefit

What proof and ID's are required to Claim Housing Benefit

Your local council will need to see proof of some of the things you write about on your housing benefit claim form. You must provide ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS, copies will not be accepted. Dont send valuable items such as passports through the post. If you can, bring them into your nearest council benefit office.

Proof and ID's required to Claim Housing Benefit

If you do not provide all the proof needed, the council might not be able to pay you any benefit. They will need the same proof for your partner, if you have one. If you cannot send the proof we need at the moment, send the form back to the council straight away and send the proof later. That way they can start to process your claim, but will not be able to pay you any benefit until they have all the proof.

You will normally need to provide the following things: -

  • Proof of identity - Such as a birth certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate,passport, medical card, driving licence, UK residence permit, ID Card (Resident permit), EEC identity card or recent gas or
    electricity bill. The council may ask to see several of these documents for each person.
  • Proof of your current address - Such as a recent gas or electricity bill or a TV licence
  • Proof of your national insurance number - Such as a National Insurance number card, payslips or letters from social security or the tax office.
  • Proof of your capital, savings and investments - Such as all your bank, building society or post office books, full bank statements, or certificates for premium bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see proof of any interest or dividends you get on investments
    and savings. The proof you send must show details for at least the last three months.
  • Proof of earnings (for all adults living in your home) - This means your last five payslips if you are paid every week, your last three payslips if you are paid every two weeks, or your last two payslips if you are paid every month. If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far.
  • Proof of other Income (for all adults living in your home) - Such as pension slips from a former employer or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting. You will need to show proof of any money people pay you for board and lodgings
  • Proof of benefits, allowances and pensions - Such as current award notices or letters from your Jobcentre Plus office, social security office or Pension Centre confirming how much you get. If you do not have proof, let the council know when you do.
  • Proof of private rent and tenancy - Such as a rent book, rent receipts, a tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord.
  • Proof of any other money paid out - Such as letters about student grants, maintenance agreements or receipts from registered child minders.